Friday, May 22, 2015

Happy Memorial Day!



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi09_fyI38AQFZqeaDgMh8okrJc-4S_mOxpE8ZvdJVwO8fqQX0dTfPcSe3jzHeZqvKumoWKxDMvrnlZWIbfxzvVnW-7zuvllD9q6d8HGedut22iEoLBLq9KYePxayWtLeQESncdVItU2ATw/s1600/memorial-day.jpg

Happy Memorial Day!  Just a quick blog about this important holiday we celebrate this weekend.  Many Americans will be traveling on this long holiday weekend.  There will be many parties, cookouts and times of fellowship.  During all of this I hope everyone takes a moment to realize the reason we celebrate Memorial Day and what it actually means.  This holiday is to remember those in the military who have lost their lives defending our freedom; those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, as well as those servicemen and women who have passed on before us.

The mere fact that I am able to write a blog such as this to express my opinions is a direct result of the brave members of our armed forces who have fought and died for this privilege - that of free speech.  This freedom and many others must never be taken for granted.  There are those among us today who think nothing of slowly eroding the freedoms that our forefathers shed their blood for, and that burns me more than you
can imagine.

During this holiday I think of my father, who was in the Navy during World War II.  He was on a munitions ship in the Pacific Ocean, and although he did tell me a few stories about his life in the military I would have loved to hear more about it from him, but he has been gone for many years.  My father in law was in the Marines at the end of the Korean War and he has shared some stories of that time with me.  I cherish the times that we speak, as well as the times my father and I spoke.  As I grow older I have a deeper understanding of what it means to be a member of the military and the sacrifices they as well as their families make on a daily basis.

During the festivities this weekend take some time to say a prayer for those families for whom this Memorial Day is especially poignant - those who have lost a family member in the defense of our country.  Those families realize the true meaning of the holiday.  If you know a "Gold Star" family such as this, reach out to them this weekend, even if it's to just say you're thinking about them.

So knowing the meaning of Memorial Day, should you thank a current or past member of the armed forces today?  Absolutely.  Not only today but anytime you think to do that.  So just to name a few, thanks to my good friend Jim in Florida, my father in law, and of course my son Justin, and the many other men and women who are currently serving.  But let’s not forget the real meaning of the holiday.  So have fun, enjoy the weekend, say a quick prayer, and have a hot dog for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment