Tuesday, December 15, 2015

There is a Reason for Everything

Did you ever wonder if you made the right move?  I don't mean in the small stuff like putting too many mushrooms in the spaghetti sauce (which, by the way, is NEVER a good thing)!  I'm talking about life changing decisions that may affect the future for months and years to come.  These decisions are not come to lightly nor should they be.  It is reassuring, however, when one of these decisions is made and you have a peace about you that suggests you did the right thing.

My wife Madonna (or Donna to those of us who have known her longer than microwave ovens have been around...yea, we're that old) recently made a decision to resign from her job at a non-profit organization.  This decision was made after much soul searching, discussions between us, and prayer.  I know the decision was a tough one for her to make because it has been her passion to reach out to those women and families affected by ovarian cancer as she is a survivor of the disease herself.  Many of you may already know some of the following details but indulge me as I briefly mention a few of them again.

Madonna's cancer journey began on my mother's birthday, August 10, 2003 when she was found to have "some sort of a growth or tumor in her abdomen".  This growth ended up being ovarian cancer, something we had never encountered in our lives.  Likewise with the unrelated uterine cancer they discovered during the operation for the ovarian cancer.  As with anyone else who has encountered cancer in their lives we were changed forever as a result of the diagnosis.  I would say that she was one of the lucky ones if I believed that, which I don't, as I fully believe that the power of prayer saved her life.  Plus God had other things in mind for her!

Fast forward to July of 2009 when Madonna founded the CT Chapter of the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC), volunteering her time and efforts to spread the word on ovarian cancer and its signs and symptoms.  Then there were the three appearances on the Dr. Oz show (I can see about getting you her autograph but you may not be able to afford it...I know I can't).  Then finally going to work full time for the NOCC national where she reached out to hospitals across the United States setting up programs to distribute literature and comfort items to newly diagnosed women.

Which brings us to today and her resignation from her job.  Is it a coincidence that her father, who has Parkinson's Disease, will be moving in with us this weekend, and her last day of work is this Friday?  Actually yes it is, but as the title of this blog suggests, there is a reason for everything, so in that respect it is not a coincidence.  Over the past few months Pop's symptoms have become a little more pronounced, and even though he's in no real big hurry to move he knows it is the best thing for him, and so do we.  We now believe that God has His hand on the situation and starting Sunday my wife will be a big part of the plan. 

There is a Reason for Everything.  Madonna has volunteered in the chemo wards comforting women and families while they go through the unthinkable.  She has appeared on Dr. Oz in front of millions of people; I joked about that earlier but those appearances were no small feat.  I am certain that her appearance on one of those shows saved many lives.  Just how many we won't know this side of Paradise, but one day we'll find out.  Her work at the NOCC over the past years, taking a program from its infancy to over 200 hospitals nationwide, was an accomplishment to be proud of.  Oh, and did I mention that she is a survivor herself?  I think I did!  Now the next chapter of our lives begins.  To quote Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose". 

There is a reason why we met back in 1974 at the most romantic spot in all of Eastern CT, the NFA cafeteria (she just smiled at me, giggled and said "Hi, I thought your name was Eddie!"), there is a reason why we were married in 1977, there is a reason why we endured her cancer journey, there is a reason why she founded the CT Chapter of the NOCC, there is a reason why she volunteered with so many ovarian cancer patients, some of whom became good friends and have since passed on from the disease, and there is a reason why her dad is moving in with us.  And there are many reasons why I love this woman, my best friend and companion, too numerous to mention.  Suffice it to say the the next chapter begins Sunday for this beautiful caregiver and I look forward to it, and to watching her do what she does best...spreading her love and compassion with those in need, even it it happens to be her dad.  I am so proud of what you've done babe, and what you are about to do.  To quote my mom, I'm glad "I chased you until you caught me!"  And what a catch that was!  After all, There is a Reason for Everything, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment