Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day


Happy Memorial Day!  Just a quick blog about the holiday we celebrate this weekend.  Many Americans will be traveling on this long holiday weekend, there will be many parties, cookouts and get-togethers.  I hope that everyone realizes the reason we celebrate Memorial Day and what it actually means.  I'm not going to go into the detailed history of the holiday but it was first recognized back in 1868.  I think there are a number of people that mistake the meaning of Memorial Day with that of Veterans Day, thinking this holiday is to pay homage to and thank the current veterans for their service...never let it be said that I was against praising our armed forces whenever we can, but this holiday is to remember those in the military who have lost their lives defending our freedom; those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, as well as those servicemen and women who have passed on before us.

The mere fact that I am able to do a blog such as this and write whatever I choose is a direct result of the brave members of our armed forces who have fought and died for this privilege - that of free speech.  This freedom and many others must never be taken for granted.  There are those among us who think nothing of slowly eroding the freedoms that our forefathers shed their blood for, and that burns me more than you can imagine.

I think of my father, who was in the Navy during World War II.  He was on a munitions ship in the Pacific Ocean, and although he did tell me one or two stories about his life in the military I would have liked to hear more about it from him.  Especially now that I have a deeper understanding of  what it means to be a member of the military and the sacrifices they as well as their families make on a daily basis.  My father in law was in the Marines at the end of the Korean War and he has shared some stories of that time with me which is great.

During the festivities this weekend take some time to say a prayer for those families for whom this Memorial Day is especially poignant - those who over this past year have lost a family member in the defense of our country...those families that now realize the true meaning of the holiday.  If you know a "Gold Star" family such as this, reach out to them this weekend, even if it's to just say you're thinking about them.

So knowing the meaning of Memorial Day, should you thank a current or past member of the armed forces today?  Absolutely.  Not only today but anytime you think to do that.  So just to name a few, thanks Jim in Florida, Jim in Putnam, and of course my son Justin, and the many other men and women who are currently serving.  But don't forget the real meaning of the holiday.  Have fun, enjoy the weekend, say a quick prayer, and have a hot dog for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment