Thursday, June 2, 2011

Slogans...Words to Live Buy

Virtually every business has a slogan...one of those catchy one liners that is supposed to make you remember the product or service they provide.  Some are very catchy - "Just Do It", "got milk?", etc.  If you are wondering how I came up with the idea to do a blog about slogans, and I know you are, I heard possibly the most stupid slogan I have ever heard on the radio the other day.  It was for a car dealership.  The slogan was "The dealership that advertises what we CAN do, not what we CAN'T".  Am I missing something here?  When is the last time you heard a company advertising what they could NOT do?  Although I'm no advertising guru, I myself came up with a slogan designed just for the genius that invented the dealership slogan:  "XYZ Advertising Agency...raking in the bucks while all our slogans suck!"  I know, a bit vulgar, but catchy don't you think?

A good slogan or commercial can be the difference between making it big: The American Express Card - Don't leave home without it...or not making it at all: (see the dealership slogan above).  I'll bet almost everyone can recite virtually any slogan with a little prodding.  Let's put that to the test, shall we?  Here are some slogans.  You need to tell me what company they belong to. Here we go:

You're in good hands with ___________
What's in your wallet?
Nothing runs like a _________
You can do it. We can help.
Improving home improvement.
I'm lovin' it.
Nobody doesn't like _____ ____
You are now free to move about the country.
That was easy.
Like a good neighbor, _____ ____ is there.
We run the tightest ship in the shipping business.

How did you do?  Good I hope because I'm not going to give you the answers! You want answers? Do you think you're entitled? You want answers?!? You want the truth?!?  YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!  Sorry, got a little carried away with one of my favorite lines from my favorite movie "A Few Good Men".

Some slogans are so catchy that you remember them decades after they are gone.  And some were very suggestive:

Does she or doesn't she? Only her hairdresser knows for sure. (Clairol Hair Color)
Take it off...take it all off!  (Noxema Medicated Shave)
I'd walk a mile for a Camel. (Huh? I suppose if you're in a desert maybe.)

Since I'm in a very nutty mood, because after all, Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut, Sometimes You Don't, I'm toying with the idea of giving you the answers in my next blog.  But alas, since some of you know where I live I suppose I'll cave under the peer pressure....Have It Your Way. Here you go:

Allstatecapitalonedeerehomedepotlowesmcdonaldssaraleesouthwestairlinesstaplesstatefarmups.

(I couldn't make it real easy for you, where is the fun in that?)  After all, We Try Harder!   Feel free to read my blog wherever you like because It's Everywhere You Want To Be...Just Let Your Fingers Do The Walking.  You can read this blog at work too because You Deserve a Break Today. Your comments are always welcome too, When You Care Enough To Send The Very Best.  You see, the beauty of reading this is that It Is Ready When You Are.  And never doubt the facts brought forth here as This Is Where The Rubber Meets The Road.  You see, we here at TK's Random Thoughts are Just Slightly Ahead Of Our Time. 

I may never end this blog..It Keeps Going and Going and Going...And don't forget, this is the blog that advertises what it CAN do, not what it CAN'T!

1 comment: