Thursday, June 16, 2011

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Ready to take a trip?  Hop into the WABAC Machine (pronounced wayback) with me for a few moments.  Those of you who are my age and older will know what that means...those of you who are younger, or who have never seen the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoon with Mr. Peabody and Sherman, pretend we're going back in time. Flash back with me to October 27, 2004 at about 11:45 PM.  There is a lunar eclipse in the sky, and on the ground, in St. Louis, the Boston Red Sox have just completed a sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals for their first World Series title in 86 years.  Now jump back into the WABAC Machine and fast forward to June 15, 2011.  There is a lunar eclipse in the sky* and the Boston Bruins win the Stanley Cup Championship for the first time in 39 years.  *I know we couldn't see the eclipse here, but call your friends in Mogadishu (God bless you...oops, I thought you sneezed) and they will tell you it happened.  So the Sox win in 2004 during an eclipse, and the Bruins win in 2011 during an eclipse.  Coincidence?  Nope.  And to prove it, check back with me in another 7 years, on January 31, 2018 and watch the New England Patriots win the Super Bowl...which will make history since it will be the first time it has ever been played during a lunar eclipse, and on a Wednesday.  It could happen!

I admittedly am not a hockey fan.  I am, however, a sports fan - and a Boston fan.  So since the Bruins made it to the Stanley Cup finals I've been keeping close track of the goings on in Boston and Vancouver.  I did watch Game 7 of the series when the Bruins won the Cup.  And even though I'm not big into hockey if there is a Game 7 of any sport I want to see it, as "there is no tomorrow, it's for all the marbles, it's do or die, it's win or go home", and on and on and on.  This Sunday I understand there is a Game 7 for the National Tiddlywinks Championship of the World and the Boston Winks are playing for the title against the New York Losers (wait a minute, that's not their name, that name has already been taken by the pin-striped baseball team in NY...but I digress).  I believe it's the New York Flippers.  And, since it's a Game 7 I'll be watching.  I would go to the game but I understand the ticket prices range from $3 to a whopping $25...too rich for my blood.  I hear the venue they are playing in is a daycare facility in downtown Boston which holds about 50 people (75 if you are under 3 feet tall which is most of the people that go there).  I know this all sounds absurd, but it it absolutely true - you just can't make this stuff up.  Okay, maybe I can.

You can accuse me of being a "homer" (one who only roots for the home teams) and that for the most part is true.  So sue me.  Then we'll split the money!  Anyway, it is true - I go for the home laundry (whatever jersey the home team is wearing).  Aren't you glad you tuned in to read this?  Think of the education you are getting in the comfort of your home, or wherever you are.  Where ARE you by the way?  Never mind...

So let's review.  We've learned about lunar eclipses and that they are advantageous to the Boston Sports Teams.  We've learned that you have friends in Mo, Mo, Moga, Mogadishu! (Bless you again...you really should have that checked out, you do look a little pekid.)  We've learned that the 2018 Super Bowl will be played on a Wednesday.  We've also learned that the Tiddlywinks Championship is this Sunday, but I'm not sure of the outcome.  Why?  No eclipse, of course.  Have you forgotten about that already?  Be careful or I may spring a surprise quiz on you.  And of course I have some excellent questions - here's a few samples: Who is buried in Grant's tomb?  When was the Battle of 1812 fought?  And now for the piece de reistance, Who is the George Washington Bridge named after?  If you need me to provide the answers to you, you are in worse shape than I thought.

Okay, done for now.  My congratulations to the Boston Bruins, 2011 Stanley Cup Champions.  And good luck to the Boston Winks...you gotta love the laundry in Boston!

2 comments:

  1. OK Tommy Boy, that was worth losing some beauty sleep to read! I'm not so sure Vanda will think so when I get up in the morning but what can ya do?! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. National Tiddlywinks Championship? You almost had me there....

    ReplyDelete