Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter? Bah Humbug II

Let's see, roughly 16 inches of snow and counting.  The good news is that work was cancelled today - the bad news?  Shoveling. If my calculations are correct, which is iffy, I will have roughly 3,375 cubic feet of snow to shovel.  Did I tell you I almost bought a snow blower?  Ah, why bother, we won't get much snow this winter.  However, had I actually purchased a snow blower we would have had only a dusting of snow today, so go ahead and blame the storm on me...and any more storms that occur this winter.  I'll let you know if and when I buy a snow blower because that will usher in an early spring.  I'll be like the Punxsutawney Phil  of Connecticut, only rather than seeing my shadow and having six more weeks of winter, the day I take the snow blower home the temperature will soar to record levels.  Of course they can be expensive so if you want to see winter come to an end you can donate to the "Let's End Winter And Give Money To Tom So He Can Buy A Snow Blower" fund.  It's not a guarantee that we will have no more storms...it's a gamble, kinda like the lottery.  When is the last time you won big in the lottery?  See, you have just as much chance with me as you do with the lottery.  Of course if you actually LIKE winter just disregard this - then double up on your meds because you obviously need them!

As a kid I loved winter...but as we all know kids have little or no sense so that explains it.  My friend has his 2 1/2 year old granddaughter here and this is the first snow she has seen so that is exciting.  Four years ago we had friends from Florida here and their 9 year old daughter had never experienced snow so she had a ball.  While they were here I slipped on the back steps and broke my hand - she, who had never been in the snow before was fine but I, born & brought up here, break my hand.  More on that in a future blog so stay tuned.

So, broken bones...just another reason to LOVE the winter.  Not to mention things like power outages, driving in the snow, and having to shovel a path for our 10 pound Shih-Tzu Lily to do her duty outside.  And SHE decides when that will be.  So far this morning she hasn't asked to go out but when she does you'd better hop to it.  I'm thinking of strapping a small shovel onto her collar and sending her out to shovel her own path.  The only problem I see is that she is only about 8 inches tall and the snow is double that in depth right now.  That may border on animal cruelty and since I'm not that mean she has a reprieve, at least for this storm...but I am working on a prototype dog shovel as we speak, and buying her an orange dog suit - then we can be twins!

Every snow storm I let Lily out in she comes in all white.  Which is interesting because for those of you who don't know my dog personally she goes out all white too...fascinating!

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST YET! To flippin funny..I'm gonna share this and hope you get lots of followers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Move here, and then you too can enjoy the 40 degree weather we are having (which by the way is a to cold for us Floridians).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me that's not really a picture of you on the roof...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, not me, not my house...but if we keep having storms like today it could be!

    ReplyDelete